The Royal Astronomical Society of Daves
The society dedicated to advancing the astronomical persuits of those whose given name is Dave or David (although we prefer Dave). Membership is by invitation only - you must be sponsored by at least two current members and there is now an entrance exam! Don't even bother asking if your name isn't Dave or David!
- We welcome new member Dave XXXIII. Here is an image of some of the RASD members present at the 2015 Nova East Star Party. From left to right are: Dave VIII, Dave XVII, Dave XXI, Dave XXXIII (August 2015)
- Added Dave XXXI and Dave XXXII (June 2014)
- Added Dave XXX, first to be indocrinated on CBC Radio (April 2013)
- Updated July 2012 to add new Dave's (umm Rossetter and Robinson)
- The first overseas International Assembly of the Royal Astronomical Society of Daves - Dave XVII and Dave XXVII met up at the Twisted Hop in Christchurch, New Zealand (February 2011).
- We welcome Dave XXVII, the first truely internation member and first to pass the entrance exam on Facebook (October 2010)
- On April 1, 2010, we report that a new Centre of the RASC called the "Dave Centre" has been created by RASC President Dave VIII. All existing RASD members will be transferred to this new Centre immediately and on September 1, 2010 all other RASC Dave's will be transferred making our membership more than 150!
- We regret to report that Dave I has died after a year long struggle with brain cancer. More details are here (February 2010).
- Visit us on facebook. But don't try to join this group of you are not a member!
- We welcome new member - Dave XXV - who was indoctrinated at the RASC General Assembly in Cypress Hills DSP, SK (August 2009).
- We welcome new member - Dave XXIV - who was indoctrinated at the RASC General Assembly in Toronto, ON (July 2008).
- We welcome two new members - Dave XXII and Dave XXIII - who were indoctrinated at the RASC General Assembly in Kelowna, BC (May 2005).
- Here is an image of some of the RASD members present at the 2005 RASC General Assembly. Included from left to right are: Dave XXIII, Dave X, Dave VIII (front), Dave XXII (back), and Dave XX. Missing from the photo is Dave II (May 2005).
- We welcome a new member - Dave XXI - who were indoctrincated at Nova East, a star party in Nova Scotia (August 2004).
- We welcome two new members - Dave XIX and Dave XX- who were indoctrinated at the RASC General Assembly in St. John's, NL (July 2004).
- Here is an image of some of the RASD members present at the 2004 RASC General Assembly. Included from left to right are: Dave XX, Dave XIX, Dave VIII (back), Dave II (front), and Dave XIV. Missing from the photo are David X and Dave XI (July 2004).
- We have no by-laws!
- We have no membership fees!
- We have no publications!
- We have no formal meetings (although small groupings at meetings of the RASC are encouraged)!
- We choose to associate with members of the RASC, when convenient :-)
- Dave I - Dave Toth (deceased in February 2010 - he was Past London and Windsor RASC presidents and keeper of the RASD 7" Astrophysics)
- Dave II* - Dave Clark (London RASC and RASD Registrar)
- Dave III - Dave Rubenhagen (London RASC/RASD's machinist, RASD president, member of the Canadian Arrow team)
- Dave IV - Dave Nopper (RASD corporate pilot and Starfest recorder player)
- Dave V - Dave McCarter (London RASC president)
- Dave VI - Dave McGuffin (London RASC/RASD's woodworker)
- Dave VII - Dave Bright (Nice London RASC visitor type)
- Dave VIII** - Dave J. Lane (The first non-London member - Halifax RASC)
- Dave IX - Dave Delano (London RASC)
- David X - David H. Levy (we are humbled once again, permitted by special resolution to be referred to as David)
- Dave XI - Dave Turner (the first to be subjected to our entrance exam)
- Dave XII - Dr. Dave Patton, U of T
- Dave XIII - Dave Prudhomme (Windsor RASC)
- Dave XIV - Dave Orenstein (Toronto RASC)
- Dave XV - Dave Skelton
- Dave XVI - Dave Crawford (IDA)
- Dave XVII - Dave Chapman (Halifax RASC and Observer's Handbook Editor)
- Dave XVIII - Dave Mooney (London RASC)
- Dave XIX - Dave Gallant (Thunder Bay RASC)
- Dave XX - Dave Lee (Victoria RASC)
- Dave XXI - Dave Parsons (Halifax RASC)
- Dave XXII - Dave G. Bennett (Victoria RASC)
- Dave XXIII - Dave Brown (Calgary RASC)
- Dave XXIV - Dave Parfett (Toronto RASC)
- Dave XXV - Dave Warren (Calgary RASC)
- Dave XXVI - Dave Cotterell (Belleville RASC and NYAA)
- Dave XXVII - Dave Parry from Christchurch, New Zealand (our first truely international member!)
- Dave XXVIII - Dave Rossetter
- Dave XXIX - Dave Robinson (Edmonton RASC)
- Dave XXX - Dave Chaisson (former Halifax RASC, first to be indoctrinated on CBC Radio!)
- Dave XXXI - Dr. Dave Dev of Toronto (astroimager from light polluted skies)
- Dave XXXII - Dave Gamble (Okanogan RASC) - inducted at the 2014 RASC GA in Victoria
- Dave XXXIII - Dave Griffith (Halifax RASC) - inducted at the 2015 Nova East Star Party
Our Motto: Quo David Urania (Where's Urania David?)
* past RASC Treasurer
* past RASC President
Last Updated: August 17, 2015.